POSITION SUMMARY: The Operator – Heavy Equipment is responsible
for the safe operation of heavy equipment at a recycling center,
landfill or transfer station for the purpose of transferring,
spreading, covering, loading and/or compacting waste or soil in an
efficient and safe manner.
- Perform pre- and post-operation inspection of the equipment in accordance with Company policy to ensure windows, lights, mirrors and rear view camera are clean. Safely and efficiently operate equipment that may include: forklift, excavator, bulldozer, front-end loader and other equipment using proper safety standards.
- Continuously monitor waste for evidence of unacceptable waste in materials.
- Continuously monitor the condition of the equipment to ensure it is operationally ready at all times to minimize down time; clean tracks or wheels on equipment, as needed.
- Perform and document minor service on equipment, referring more complicated mechanical issues to Maintenance Shop for repair.
- Complete Equipment Condition Report and other reports, as necessary; report any necessary repairs to supervisor, as needed.
- Follow all required safety policies and procedures.
- Ensure that shop is clean, serviced and stored at the completion of each shift.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Good customer services skills to meet and exceed customer expectations; acts in a professional, courteous and cooperative manner toward customers and co-workers; works with a sense of honesty and trustworthiness.
- Good time management skills to ensure assigned responsibilities are completed in an efficient and safe manner.
- Good follow through ability; ability to adhere to work schedule and follows through on challenges as they arise.
- Ability to adhere to Company policies and rules set forth; promotes the Company’s safety standards; does not take inappropriate risks.
- Maintains a feeling of pride in work; strives to achieve all goals.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Two years of prior related experience in heavy equipment operation.
- One year of prior experience working at sites regulated by OSHA.
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.