Reports to: Accessioning Supervisor
Lab Assistant are staff that carry out supportive tasks, such as specimen receiving, accessioning, storing, data entry, inventory control and instrument maintenance. Lab Assistant must not participate in patient or quality control testing, operate laboratory instruments, nor perform any technical activity that requires Technician or Technologist qualification.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Check (matching the sample accession number to the requisition to make sure we are not missing any facilities) incoming patient specimens.
- Sort out specimens for Chemistry (speckled red top), CBC, A1c, ESR, Retic (lavender tube) and Urinalysis.
- Responsible for specimen centrifugation
- Arrange patient specimens in numerical order for Chemistry.
- Place CBC (lavender top tube) specimen in a bags, put group number on the bag, transport to Hematology section.
- Order Chemistry specimens in numerical order.
- Prepare worksheets for Urinalysis, prepare Microbiology forms and place assigned barcodes on Media Plates.
- After analysis, specimens unloaded from the instruments by the technical staff, lab assistant arrange, scan, place and save Chemistry specimens into sample management system in barcoded racks before storing in the refrigerator.
- Place CBC specimens in racks by number group and store in the refrigerator.
- Place PT/APTT specimens in racks by number group and store in the freezer.
- Discard blood specimens from previous week.
- Assist with reagents and supplies inventory control
- Replenish laboratory supply
- Receive and store incoming supplies in assigned areas
- Assist with pending specimens by reviewing pending lists, searching for specimen tube for add-on test.
- Prepare and store medical waste to be picked up by outside vendor
- Perform bench-top cleaning to disinfect working areas
- Organize reagent shelves and report any low volume reagent or consumables.
- Other non-technical tasks that do not require Technician or Technologist qualification.
- High School Diploma or equivalent, preferred.
- Working knowledge of PC applications
- Know some medical terminology, preferred.
- Previous related experience, preferred.
- Ability to multi-task, required.
- Flexible, required.
- Ability to sit, stand, walk and perform repetitive motion (keyboard)
- Proficient visual and audio skills
- May include lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling object
Centers Health Care is a fully integrated post-acute care continuum offering rehabilitation and skilled nursing services in more than 45 locations covering four states. In addition, we provide special services including in-patient and home dialysis, ventilator care, and care for those with Alzheimer’s. The Centers Health Care family offers Skilled Nursing, Urgent Care, Managed Care, Clinical Laboratory Services, Adult Day Health Care, and Assisted Living services, as well as every level of Home Care. Centers is well known for our commitment to our employees, offering outstanding ongoing training and development, career advancement opportunities, competitive pay rates, generous compensation packages and more.
Equal Opportunity Employer –M/F/D/V
Powered by JazzHR