Initial Posting Date:06/30/2020
Agency:Department of Transportation
Salary Range:2,990.00 - 4,312.00
Position Title:Highway Maintenance Specialist
Transportation Maintenance Specialist 2 – Highway Maintenance Specialist
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery & Operations Division – Region 2
District 1 Maintenance
ODOT is following the direction of the Governor's Office to help slow and prevent the spread of COVID-19. We are recruiting for agency critical positions at this time using virtual tools and processes such as video and phone interviewing to support social or physical distancing. We are also continuing to evaluate the situation and may extend or place recruitments on hold as appropriate. Current applicants for affected positions will be notified. Visit our COVID-19 web page for more information. For information about the statewide response, visit the Governor's COVID-19 web page .
We are looking for someone to join our hardworking crew to help keep Oregon’s roads safe. As part of our maintenance team, you will repair and rebuild roadways, bridges, structures and facilities by hand and by operating heavy or light equipment. If you are dependable and looking for a career with growth potential, ODOT wants you!
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
- If you are a current State of Oregon employee, you must apply through your employee Workday profile.
- Please carefully read the 'How to Apply' section below, for required attachments and specific instructions on applying
- We may use this recruitment to fill multiple vacancies.
A day in the life:
- Complete weather-related operations, including snow removal, deicing and sanding.
- Operate a wide variety of heavy equipment and perform manual labor to repair roadway surfaces and shoulders.
- Repair guardrails, milepost markers and fences.
- Set out temporary traffic control signs and devices and flag traffic to protect the traveling public and work crews.
- Dispose of debris, clear brush, mow grass and spray roadside vegetation.
- Maintain drainage systems, dig and clean ditches, repair culverts, inlets and erosion.
- Complete minor service and repair of tools and motorized equipment.
- Perform minor building maintenance including sweeping floors, cleaning toilets, painting and light carpentry.
- Exposure to noise, adverse weather, dangerous equipment, pesticides, fertilizers and hazardous waste materials is expected.
- Must be able to walk, stand, bend and stoop for extended periods of time and be able to lift up to 60 pounds.
- May need to be available at any time including weekends and holidays for emergency, on-call and weather-related purposes.
- At times will be expected to work long hours for continuous days in a row.
What’s in it for you:
- Rewarding work in a fast-paced, creative environment.
- Colleagues who are passionate about public service.
- Work/life balance and 10 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules and competitive benefits packages.
- Multi-modal ride sharing! Get There is Oregon’s easy-to-use carpool matching tool and trip planner that will get you where you need to go.
- Live, work and play in Warrenton, Oregon !
Want to know about new job postings?
What we need:
- Two years of maintenance and/or construction experience in roadway/highway, bridge, sign, drawbridge or landscape (any type of ground maintenance, including tree, shrub and lawn maintenance; sprinkler system maintenance, cleaning ditches and catch basins, or work related to professional/commercial or public landscaping, farming or logging);
- Experience in each of the following areas:
- Operating heavy and/or light motorized equipment;
- Using hand and power tools;
- Performing minor servicing of equipment, AND
- Applying safety procedures.
- Two years of experience operating construction and maintenance machinery to include one or more of the following types: front-end loader, road grader, bulldozer, backhoe, tractor/low-boy, and 5 or 10 yard dump truck.
Additionally, employee will be required to use a commercial motor vehicle to conduct business; you must possess a current, valid commercial driver's license A (CDL-A) with combination, air brakes, and tanker endorsements OR have the ability to acquire one within six months of hire (ODOT will cover training and costs) to be considered eligible for this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
This position requires a maximum 45-minute response time to 1960 SE Dolphin Ave, Warrenton, OR 97146 for emergency call-outs.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
- Experience with balancing multiple tight deadlines.
- Experience in identifying workplace safety risks and solving the issue.
- Roadway maintenance experience.
How to apply:
- Complete the application. We will not look at documents we do not ask for.
- Complete questionnaire.
- After you submit your application, be sure to respond to the public records request (PRR) authorization and gender identity question. This screen will come after you submit and will complete the process. If you are an employee, the tasks will come to your Workday inbox.
- If you are a veteran , the task to claim preference will come after the PRR and gender identity tasks. For privacy reasons , please do not attach your DD214/DD215/civil service preference letter to your application or combine it with any other required document attachments. We will ask you for your documents later in the process. If you need time to locate or order your documents from the VA, please contact the recruiter at the phone number or email under the ‘Need help?’ section below.
- For questions, email odotrecruitmentNH@odot.state.or.us .
The fine print:
- Warning! The system will timeout after 20 minutes of inactivity. You must submit your application after you begin the process. You cannot save your progress and come back to it later.
- We may also use other factors to help us decide who will move forward, such as your related work experience, your education and the overall professionalism of your application materials.
- If you are a veteran you may receive preference. If you checked that you are a veteran, we will ask you for your documents later in the process. It is important that you submit your documents as soon as you receive the request. If you need time or need to order your documents from the VA, please contact the recruiter at the phone number or email above. Do not attach your documents to your application when you submit.
- We do not offer Visa sponsorship. If you are hired, you will be required to fill out the US Department of Homeland Security’s I-9 form confirming you are able to work in the US.
- Don’t attach extra documents. We will only look at documents that we ask for.
- We will conduct name-based criminal background checks on final candidates, not including current ODOT employees. All applicants may be subject to additional pre-employment check(s) such as driver license, LEDS (Law Enforcement Data System), and/or education verification as required for the position.
- You will be represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU).
Human Resources/Recruitment, MS12
355 Capitol St NE
Salem OR 97301-3871
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or any other class protected by state or federal laws in admission or access to our programs, services, activities, hiring, and employment practices. Applicants with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation during the application process. For questions, concerns, or complaints regarding EEO/AA/ADA, contact the employee civil rights and diversity manager at 1-877-336-6368 (1-877-EEO-ODOT). This information can be made available in an alternative format by contacting ODOT Recruitment at 503-986-3700. Oregon Relay Service can be reached by calling 7-1-1.