Under the direct supervision of food service management, performs basic food service functions, including preparation/serving of food items, stocking of supplies, cashiering and catering special events. Work situations are routine and regularly recurring, requiring an ability to perform basic arithmetic calculations and understand commonly used procedures and work methods. Communication skills are employed to interact with supervisor, co-workers, student trainees and public. Responsible for maintaining County/State/Federal health codes, customer satisfaction and accurate work results that are noticeable by the customer (i.e., food quality, wholesomeness, presentation, merchandising, portion control and maintenance of departmental food standards).
- Sets up and closes out cash registers and performs cashiering as needed.
- Keeps work and service area in a safe, sanitary and orderly manner. Understands and complies with County/State/Federal health codes to ensure the health and safety of the customer.
- Caters special events (sets up, waits table, prepares facilities, maintains food presentation, etc.).
- Inventories and restocks work stations for needed supplies.
- Works or assists at fry station and grill.
- Assembles salads, sandwiches and pizza. Prepares soups, coffee and espresso drinks.
- Serves on the hot line or deli station.
- Stays alert to ensure customers are being charged for items taken.
- Cleans preparation and service equipment.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Work is performed in a commercial food service operation environment. May require extended hours with little notice. Work pressure and disturbance of workflow can occur daily (i.e., no notification given for large groups of people and employees calling in absent while maintaining all service points/departments, departments requesting catering service with no notification, etc.). May include occasional exposure to noise and temperature fluctuations.
Job requires frequent standing and walking. Lifting and carrying materials weighing up to 40 pounds occurs with varied frequency
High School Diploma or equivalent
Minimum Work Experience
minimum six months of food service and cashiering experience required.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work: Must be willing to work holidays, weekends and provide additional coverage as needed
Location: East Orange General Hospital · Food & Nutrition
Schedule: Part Time, Regular, Evenings, 4p-7p