Purpose of Role:
The Field Merchant is primarily responsible for improving Lowe’s ability to deliver on local market product needs. The Field Merchant will work closely with Store Operations, ProServices, Merchandising Services, Core Merchandising and customers in the field, to uncover, communicate and execute upon local market product opportunities. This role is also responsible identifying local market product opportunities and working with Core Merchandising to add these local/regional products to our assortments. Partner with the Merchandising Services Team to communicate and execute on the local assortment strategies defined by Core Merchandising.
To accomplish this, the Field Merchant must understand the
merchandising needs of the regions and markets they serve. The
Field Merchant will meet with the store teams, vendors, and the
customer to get a full understanding on what the opportunity maybe
for localized merchandising. The Field Merchant will focus on
building and strengthening relationships with Regional and Market
teams, Core Merchandising, and vendors to secure the best
opportunities for Lowe’s and proactively meet the needs of
- Provides product expertise to the field
- Coordinates and manages projects and initiatives to realization.
- Identifies and drives new opportunities to improve product performance for each category.
- Participates in the planning of product placement within the stores as defined by Store Planning.
- Consistently understands the product offering of all competitors in the market and the potential impact to Lowe’s.
- Regularly visits Lowe’s stores and those of the competitors to better understand the needs of the product categories and helping to resolve pricing conflicts• Researches the market place for new and innovative product idea
- Maintains a professional and productive relationship with vendors to ensure all product opportunities are identified and responded to effectively
- Communicates and interacts with vendors to ensure execution of Merchandising plans
- Advising Core Merchandising current and prospective vendors as needed to secure best cost options and best opportunities for Lowe’s.
- Ensures that vendors and suppliers understand the requirement to comply with all applicable laws and regulations in the conduct of their business with Lowe's Companies, Inc.
- Understand the localize laws and codes to ensure Lowe’s is compliant
- Uses a critical eye to examine and streamline work flows and processes within the team, to increase efficiency.
- Drives innovation across the team using a deep understanding of how the Merchandising team works within the organization.
- Keeps pace with change and maintains a competitive advantage within the marketplace by seeking out and learning about changes in the field
- Works closely with Store Operations, Merchandising Services and Merchandising teams to deliver localized programs that drive results in an efficient and timely manner.
- Help advice and delegates the right tasks and decisions to the people who are in the best position to execute them.
- Provides open feedback and mentorship to team members to encourage growth and greater responsibility.
- Develops and presents communications, frequently to senior leadership, communicating the desired message, at the appropriate level, for the right recipient.
- Works independently with little supervision, maintains a high level of engagement
- Practices self-leadership and promotes learning in others by
building relationships with cross-functional stakeholders;
communicating information and providing advice to drive projects
forward; influencing team members within assigned unit; adapting to
competing demands and new responsibilities; providing feedback to
others, including upward feedback to leadership and mentoring
junior team members
- Bachelors Degree in Business or related field and 5 years experience in one or more of the following: purchasing, buying, sales, merchandising, brand management or related field OR 8 years experience in one or more of the following areas: purchasing, buying sales, merchandising, brand management, or related field
- Demonstrated experience leading and working with cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated experience working closely with senior leadership
- Ability to travel between stores within market and overnight
travel as required.
- 4 years experience in retail product merchandising
- 2 years experience working in retail industry
- Experience working with relevant product category
Lowe’s Companies, Inc. (NYSE: LOW) is a FORTUNE® 50 home improvement company serving approximately 18 million customers a week in the United States and Canada. With fiscal year 2019 sales of $72.1 billion, Lowe’s and its related businesses operate or service more than 2,200 home improvement and hardware stores and employ approximately 300,000 associates. Founded in 1946 and based in Mooresville, N.C., Lowe’s supports the communities it serves through programs focused on creating safe, affordable housing and helping to develop the next generation of skilled trade experts. For more information, visit Lowes.com.