Job Title: FEA/CAD Specialist
Reports To: Engineering Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
We are looking for an CAD and FEA specialist with knowledge of SOLIDWORKS software packages. This role will be in support of Engineering personnel, performing analysis of new and existing designs, as well as creating new models and design improvements.
Additionally, the FEA/CAD Specialist is responsible for participating, supporting, and maintaining compliance to the Company’s quality, environmental and occupational health & safety policies, procedures, programs, and activities as defined by the Company.
Responsibilities may include direct communications with customers, vendors and other representatives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Demonstrates understanding of mechanical engineering design principles
· Assists in design and layout of new or modified products and processes
· Creates and evaluates conceptual designs of components and systems that meet applicable codes and requirements
· Uses Computer-Aided Design (CAD) tools and software to develop designs
· Produces assembly, sub-assembly, manufacturing and detailed design drawings
· Performs stress calculations and finite element analysis (FEA), and, in conjunction with the responsible engineer, use the results to determine materials requirements and optimize designs
· Applies root cause analysis techniques to identify problems and implement solutions
· Determines design factors such as size, shape, and arrangement of parts
· Uses 3D printer to develop prototype parts
· Provides technical support to production, manufacturing, and service
· Reviews product design for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, customer contract requirements, and regulatory specifications
· Regular, predictable attendance is required
· Demonstrates organizational skills and attention to detail
· Shows ability to work professionally and effectively with others
· Shows strong problem-solving and communication skills
· Is able to manage time effectively while balancing multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
· Works directly with engineers and clients, and clearly articulates findings and recommendations
· Shows ability to work diligently alone when needed, but knows when to seek help
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
Computer Skills - To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of internet software and the Microsoft Office suite of products. Position also requires the use of CAD software (SOLIDWORKS) and FEA software.
Language Skills -Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals; Ability to respond to common inquiries, or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies or members of the business community.
Reasoning Ability - Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions; Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions, in mathematical or diagram form, and deal with multiple variables both abstract and concrete.
Job Knowledge – Competent in required job skills and knowledge; Exhibits ability to learn and apply new skills; Keeps abreast of current developments; Requires minimal supervision; Displays understanding of how job relates to others; Uses resources effectively; Strives to continually build job knowledge and utilize experience.
Interpersonal Skills –Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed; Listens and responds constructively to other team members’ ideas; Offers support for others’ ideas and proposals; Is open with other team members about his/her concerns; Expresses disagreement constructively.
Attention to Communication – Ensures that others involved in a project or initiative are kept informed and up to date; ability to effectively communicate both up and down the chain of command; Actively shares ideas and useful information with others.
Change Management – Proposes new approaches, methods, or technologies; Develops better, faster, or less expensive ways to do things; Works cooperatively with others to produce innovative solutions; Develops workable implementation plans; Communicates changes effectively; Builds commitment and overcomes resistance; Prepares and supports those affected; Monitors transition and evaluates results.
Cost Consciousness – Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves Company resources.
Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports Company’s goals and values; Benefits Company through outside activities; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
Strategic Thinking – Develops strategies to achieve Company goals; Understands Company’s strengths & weaknesses; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
Judgement – Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgement; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process.
Managing Performance – In appropriate consultation, establishes clear goals and objectives that are specific, measurable, attainable, relative, and linked to time; effectively follows-up and evaluates progress toward agreed upon goals and objectives on a routine basis; able to communicate obstacles, impediments, and corrective action(s) to his or her supervisor with respect to the agreed upon goals.
No direct supervisory duties; however job includes coordinating project related activities with internal and external resources.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
· Extensive experience in SOLIDWORKS required
· A.S./B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Structural Engineering, or similar discipline
· 3 years of mechanical or structural drafting/design experience
· 3 years of FEA/structural analysis experience
· Proven experience with multiple structural analysis methods (linear statics, rigid body dynamics, transient analyses, nonlinear static/transient, modal, shock/vibe, heat transfer, etc.)
· Knowledge of drafting standards [weld symbols, dimensioning, tolerancing, etc.]
· Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, such as Excel
· Good sketching and concept generation skills
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
SOLIDWORKS Certification preferred (CSWA, CSWP-MBD, CSWP-Simulation, etc.)
This position does not typically require significant travel (< 10%).
PHYSICAL AND EMOTIONAL DEMANDS
The physical and emotional demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Must be able to travel with luggage and be able to transport materials and personal overnight supplies. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $70,000.00 /year
- relevant: 3 years (Preferred)
- One location
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
- Aggressive -- competitive and growth-oriented
- Stable -- traditional, stable, strong processes
- Monday to Friday