ASR Group is the world’s largest refiner and marketer of cane sugar, with an annual production capacity of more than 6 million tons of sugar. The company produces a full line of grocery, industrial, food service and specialty sweetener products. Across North America, ASR Group owns and operates six sugar refineries, located in Louisiana, New York, California, Maryland, Canada and Mexico. In the European Union, the company owns and operates sugar refineries in England, Portugal. ASR Group also owns and operates mills in Mexico and Belize. The company’s brand portfolio includes the leading brands Domino®, C&H®, Redpath®, Tate & Lyle®, Lyle’s® and Sidul®.
- Be the “Financial Steward” of the plants, leading the plant accounting function in the U.S. providing financial expertise and independent challenge to the Operations in order to improve operational efficiency and effectiveness, reduce costs and support product development activities.
- Work directly with and be a support to the plant managers and department managers
- Work closely with FP&A supplying data and support to enable deep dive analysis.
- Ensure consistency of reporting with the EU and Canada.
- The role is primarily based in the West Palm Beach FL plant but
will include travel (estimated at 25% of the year) to other
facilities including Canada and the EU.
POSITION STRATEGIC OBJECTIVES AND KEY DELIVERABLES
- To meet the Finance team’s objectives as set out by VP – Chief Accounting Officer
- All routine reports are delivered on time and are of appropriate quality and in line with group’s standards
- Supervise and develop plant controllers as effective business partners of Plant leadership team.
- Supervise operational accounting staff to ensure timely and accurate financial closings, internal management reporting, and supporting analysis.
- Identify opportunities for cost optimization, increase operating efficiency, and other business opportunities
- Partner with FP&A to review replacement and sustaining CAPEX submissions and work with business sponsors to develop CAPEX business opportunity cases
- Ensure that an adequate system of internal control is maintained, general ledger accounts are correctly stated and classified, and that financial reporting is prepared both to manage the operations of the business and to accommodate local accounting principles.
- Ensure data integrity of our core Plant related systems is maintained for e.g., Maintenance and Work Order system, Other Operational Data Systems
- Plant managers and senior management confirm that the level and quality is as they would expect
- Works safely at all times, and contributes to office / plant safety activity
DETAILED ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Processes and controls:
- Ensure that an adequate system of internal control is maintained and is supported by appropriate processes
- Ensure that general ledger accounts are correctly stated and classified
- Constantly look to improve processes, particularly in response
to changes in operational configuration
Particular focus around materials and finished goods controls to insure accurate inventory at our plant locations
- Cost estimates and BOMs control:
- Develop and review standard costs for all products on a timely basis and to ensure that they are properly reflected in SAP and the Deal Calculator. To support the NPD/Product Innovation process as required
- Evaluate costing methodologies to ensure it is consistent with
company’s margin and cost definitions
- Project appraisals and Business Partnering:
- Work closely with FP&A to assist senior operations management in the development of capital projects, cost saving initiatives and continuous improvement programs. Provide financial interpretation and challenge in these areas.
- Act as a business partner for Plant Leadership teams. Assist further Plant Manager’s goals and objectives for cost discipline, efficiency improvement and other opportunities
- Participate and lead ad-hoc and special projects
- Develop and institute bottom up budget build discipline amongst
various stakeholders across operations to help not only prioritize
resources but also further enterprise objectives
- Plant performance:
- Perform root-cause analysis of variances to standard in
operations area. For e.g. production losses, inventory
write-offs/reworks, fixed costs variances etc.
- Undertake ad-hoc projects to help plant improve in areas driving the adverse variances to std. costs and annual budgets
- Review the yield statement on time and accurately. To fully understand the assumptions and calculations and to provide interpretation
- Ensure proper inventory and production accounting policies and procedures are followed by Plant Controllers
- Review the weekly metrics report and to summarise the key events
- Compile / review monthly KPI and Scorecard data for Operations Management
- Develop and provide any other report and analysis as is needed
- Drive timeliness and improved integrity of plant operational data
- Perform root-cause analysis of variances to standard in operations area. For e.g. production losses, inventory write-offs/reworks, fixed costs variances etc.
- To manage the budget process in the operations area, working in lockstep with FP&A to produce the manufacturing cost statements for fixed costs, variable costs and co-packer costs. To ensure that standard cost estimates are accurate.
- To challenge output and provide advice to management
- To prepare and present in analytical way operations budget,
highlighting relevant drivers
- Month end routine and reporting :
- Supervise Plant Controllers to ensure direct timely and accurate financial closings, internal management reporting and supporting analysis and to provide appropriate interpretation and challenge.
- To review the monthly manufacturing cost statement with commentary on the variance analysis
- Conduct detailed monthly cost and KPI reviews with Plant
- Prepare weekly operating reports and participate in management discussions to drive operational excellence
- Provide appropriate information to auditors on a timely basis
- Ensure consistent practices and processes between U.S. , EU and Canada, to the extent practical
- Develop and mentor plant accounting personnel to provide key
business support at each facility
- 3rd party product claims review and sign-off
- Preform a review of major product claims to ensure that claims are fair and accurate, working with legal and other functions to ensure timely settlement.
- Support other adhoc cross functional projects as and when
ESSENTIAL CAPABILITIES (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES)
- Must be a self-starter and inquisitive
- Must possess strong analytical skills and to use those to support strategic decision making
- Ability to challenge at all levels including senior executives
- Must communicate effectively in writing and verbally
- Must understand cost accounting, accounting principles, financial appraisal techniques (including what-if scenarios) and management reporting
- Ability to present to plant managers and senior executives
- Must have advanced experience in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint Skills
- Good working knowledge of SAP or any ERP system
- Experience in Lean Six-Sigma or equivalent operational
excellence program/methodology is highly desirable.
- Must have experience in developing financial controls in an operational environment
- Bachelor’s degree required in the areas of business and/or STEM field
- Certified Public Accountant and/or Certified Managerial Accountant Qualification Required
- Master's or MBA is preferred
- 6 years of work experience in a manufacturing environment
- 5 years of managerial or leadership experience required
Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.