TheCitizens Utility Board (CUB), one of Illinois’ premier consumer advocacygroups, has an immediate opening for an entry-level communications assistant tohelp in all facets of the Communications Department. This is an excitingopportunity to get hands-on experience working for a good cause: Fightingelectric/gas rate hikes, preventing rip-offs and advocating for a clean energyfuture.
Whypeople like to work at CUB:
Competitivesalary, commensurate with experience.
Healthand dental Insurance.
401Kwith company match.
Vacation,PTO and Sick Time.
Extraweek of vacation for all staff members, Dec. 24 through Jan. 1.
Once a week work-from-home options.
Hands-onexperience at a respected, hard-working nonprofit once praised by The St. LouisPost-Dispatch as the “gold standard” of consumer groups nationwide.
Whatyou’ll be doing at CUB:
· Work with key staffto contribute content for an award-winning website, blog, and Facebook, Twitterand Instagram pages, includingdeveloping graphics, taking photos, filming video and writing posts.
· Research, write, editand lay out consumer-friendly blog stories, fact sheets, helpful guides, TheCUB Voice (quarterly newsletter), and other publications as needed.
· Maintain library of factsheets and other CUB materials in both pdf and WordPress formats.
· Assist in mediacampaign planning; including writing and distributing news releases, follow-upcalls and pitches to reporters; and maintaining up-to-date list of media contacts.
· Film regular FacebookLive presentations with CUB staff members on a variety of utility andconsumer topics.
· Track consumer andutility-related news articles for weekly social media planning meetings.
· And other duties asassigned.
Whatwe need from you:
Provencommitment to public interest work.
Energy,enthusiasm and pride in getting the little jobs right.
Experiencein Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, and Adobe Illustrator).
Basicknowledge of content management system, preferably Wordpress.
Strongwriting and proofreading skills, and intense attention to detail.
Adegree in Journalism, English or a Communications-related field—either pursuingor completed.
your best nonfiction writing sample (published workspreferred), and example of Adobe InDesign work to:
Jim Chilsen, Communications Director
Citizens Utility Board (CUB)
309 W. Washington St.
Job Type: Full-time
- relevant: 2 years (Preferred)
- One location
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
- Stable -- traditional, stable, strong processes