The Fort Myers Beach Fire Department is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Administrative Assistant. MUST COMPLETE APPLICATION AT WWW.FMBFIRE.ORG.
The Fort Myers Beach Fire Department is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Administrative Assistant. The Administrative Assistant performs a wide variety of tasks and provides support to various Divisions, such as EMS, Training, Life Safety and Support, Administrative Services, and Operations.
The Administrative Assistant serves as receptionist to receive the public and answers questions; answers and operates the central telephone system and routes callers or provides information as required; responds to inquiries from employees, citizens, and others and refers, when necessary, to appropriate party.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Performs a variety of clerical, secretarial, and administrative work.
- Performs a wide variety of tasks and provides support to various Branches, Divisions, and Programs such as Emergency Medical Services, Training, Life Safety, Administrative Services, and Operations (i.e. tracking and updating Target Solutions, File of Life packets, special events, property registrations, inspection/event payments, etc.).
- Performs routine filing and other organizational filing activities.
- Assist in event planning with other members of the organization, contacting vendors and outside resources.
- Responsible for accounts payable processes such as, but not limited to: tracking packing slips and matching to invoices, entering and coding invoices, distributing invoices for signatures, processing checks, and contacting vendors.
- Oversee maintenance of office machines (copier/printer, postage machine) as required.
- Assists in the coordination of Purchase Requests, Purchase Orders, and purchasing packets
- Assists in the coordination of payroll processes when assigned.
- Produce briefs of meetings and conferences when assigned.
- Clean and confirm professional presentation of department facilities when assigned.
- Assist administrative staff with special projects as assigned.
- Non-routine after hour response in times of significant emergency incidents to assist with projects when assigned.
- Performs routine clerical and administrative work, including receiving and processing prevention department documents, providing customer assistance, cashiering, data processing, and record keeping.
- Prints fax cover sheets, memos, correspondence, reports and other documents as necessary.
- Performs other clerical duties such as photocopying, scanning, and collating as needed.
- Answers and operates central telephone system and routes callers or provides information as required.
- Receives the public and answers questions; responds to inquiries from employees, citizens, and others and refers, when necessary, to appropriate party.
- Assists in the procurement of department materials and supplies.
- Operates office machines as required.
- Receive, stamp, and distribute incoming mail and prepare outgoing mail.
- Composes, types, and edits correspondence, reports, minutes, memoranda, and other material requiring judgment as to content, accuracy, and completeness.
- Inputs data to standard office and department forms; makes simple postings to various reports such as annual reports, hydrant inspections, and fire inspections; compiles tabulated data.
- Provides assistance to walk-in first aid patients when needed.
- Perform light cleaning tasks to ensure common area in the administrative office is kept clean, safe, stocked, locked and in good working order.
- Consistently and correctly follows the District’s rules, policies and procedures.
- Ensures complete, accurate and timely preparation and maintenance of District records and reports.
- Consistently promotes a professional image of the District at all times.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
- Four (4) years of increasingly responsible clerical, secretarial, and administrative-related experience. Preferred candidates are those with experience working for a public institution, special district, or similar organization.
- Must possess a High School Diploma or G.E.D., and preferred to have attended specialized course work in general office practices, such as typing, filing and bookkeeping..
Certificate or Licenses:
- Must possess, or be eligible to obtain within 30 days of appointment to the position, and maintain a valid Florida driver’s license.
A combination of education, training, and experience, which provides the required skills, knowledge, and abilities, may be considered in qualifying a candidate.
Employee and Family Healthcare: The District is proud to provide 100% Employee Healthcare and Full Family Health, Dental and Vision coverage at an employee co-share of 20% of dependents, valued at an average of $22,780 annually before co-pay. The District also provides a pre-tax plan for the cost of medical and child care related expenses through a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) under the Internal Revenue Service Section 125 Plan.
Retirement: An excellent retirement plan is provided by the District through the Florida Retirement Services (FRS). The employee contributes 3% of wages, and the District contributes 8.47% of gross salary, equaling a total contribution of 11.47%. Additional retirement plans are available in the form of a 457 Deferred Compensation Plan as a deduction from employee pay.
Personal Paid Leave (PPL): PPL, Holiday Pay, and other benefits can be found in the Non-Exempt Work Periods and Benefits document.
Education, Development and Training: Education, Development, and Training is highly encouraged by the District and funded for the employee through a rewarding Education Plan.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $38,387.00 to $52,912.00 /year
- Dental Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Plan
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Vision Insurance
- Administrative Assistant: 4 years (Required)
- Driver's License (Required)
- Stocking supplies
- Sorting and sending mail
- Answering and routing phone calls
- Greeting visitors
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants under 18 years old, provided it is legally allowed for the job and location
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
- Monday to Friday
- 8 hour shift
- Only full-time employees eligible